The Hotel Solvay in Brussels becomes a Museum
Destroyed by the war, in 1957, the Wittamer-De Camps family, couturiers (Valens), bought the hotel to use it as a workshop and a place to display their collection. They saved it from certain destruction and began renovations and restorations. In 1958, the entrance hall was dismantled to make room for two display cases for the firm’s haute couture models. The hotel was subsequently restored by the architect Georges Gyömörey of the Raymond Lemaire office. Since 1988, the hotel has undergone several restorations by the architect Jos Vandenbreeden.